Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Holiday

I disconnected the phone, broken the door bell, and turned off my internet. I didn’t want to talk to anyone. Not mom or Brad or the guys or Mary Jane. I just wanted to sit alone in my room and play my guitar. I don’t think any of them tried to get a hold of me, anyway. It didn’t matter anymore.
I spent hour after hour practicing one song that Greg had said was the most important for me to know, “Faith and Misery”. A sad, yet loud tune with no lyrics. I played it over and over so many times that I could have played the whole song perfectly in my sleep.
Now, while I was keeping myself cut off from the world, I hadn’t notice just how it had changed till I turned on the TV. The news was on and the woman on the screen was very upset about something. I cranked the volume up to twenty. “This just in. The shadow known as Whatsername, has demanded that St. Jimmy show himself. Weeks before, Whatsername destroyed all music in the world. Whatsername has taken numerous victims. Is this the end of the world? Please, St. Jimmy, if you’re watching this, we need you!....what?! Ahhh!” With that, the screen went black.
I clicked the TV off. That was all I needed to see. I had to find Greg. I needed to know just what I was up against.


I made my way over the damp earth to the shack where I had received the guitar. I banged and kicked the door till the eye hole door opened. “Who goes there?” The same voice as last time crooked at me. “It me! St. Jimmy. I need to see Gregen!” The door flew open and the old man stepped aside and bowed as I entered.
“Brother Gregen is in the chamber to your left, Sire” The old man said. I nodded to him and took off for the room. I stopped in front of the door. Something was missing from it. In fact, something was missing from all the doors, even the front door. Door knobs. None of them had door knobs. Was this some kind of sick joke? I hit the door till someone opened it.
Gregen was seated at the large oak desk in the middle of the room. The window behind him seized my attention. It wasn’t showing the raining, doom stricken world outside of this shack, but more like something out of a fairy tale book for children. I gazed in awe at the sight.
Gregen looked up from his desk. “Milord.” He whispered. I pointed out the window. “What is that?”
“That,” He started without turning to look, “Is the Land of MakeBelieve, Milord. That is your home and kingdom.” He motioned for me to take a seat. I quickly found one and was about to speak when he continued on. “I know why you are here. You wish to know what the creature, Whatsername is and how you are to stop it. Am I not right, Milord?” I affirmed him with a head nod. He went on. “Whatsername is a creature born of darkness and hate. She will destroy all music and happiness. She did not exist in this world until the one before you let her in. She used her charm and looks to sway him into allowing her into this world.
“She will be coming for you and the Land of MakeBelieve in no time as she has already taken over this world. St. Jimmy, you must stop her using the guitar. It is the only way.”
I sat waiting for him to say gotcha or something! It had to be a joke. How was I to fight some beastly cloud with a guitar? He sat, watching me. “How?! How do I fight that…that thing with a guitar?!!”
“When the time comes, you will know what to do, St. Jimmy. It is in you now, the soul of a warrior.” He stood and turned to the window in a dramatic sort of way. The afternoon sun from the Land of MakeBelieve hitting his outline just so that it appeared to be glowing. I watched the world I didn’t know and wished this all wasn’t on my shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment