Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Are we the waiting

I stood among my people, guitar in one hand, bible in the other. “This is our time. We will take back both worlds from Whatsername!” The crowd cheered boisterously. I smiled at the eager faces. We could do this. I could do this.
“The battle will not be easy, but we can do it! We will need to train to get stronger than our enemy.” The crowd roared with approval. I raised the guitar above my head and lead the way into the Land of MakeBelieve.
I stood on the threshold of the beautiful world that was the Land of MakeBelieve. Lush green earth lay out before me. Hills that looked to be made of candy with tree like broccoli. Birds of all colors soared thru the air, calling out to one another. Small cottages dotted the land here and there.
We walked into the town square to announce to all about the battle with Whatsername. I looked about the crowd and realized I couldn’t tell the difference between them and the people from my world. They were the same as anybody from over there.
“Tonight, my Brothers and Sisters, we feast with St. Jimmy. In the morning we will train for the long awaited war where St. Jimmy will slay the beast known as Whatsername. Eat well and rest well, as though it were your last.” I shivered at that last sentence. As though it was their last? People would die? I hadn’t thought of this. They were fighting a vast beast with unknown powers. How could I think that nobody would die? But that was what happened when people went to war. Someone had to die for the other to win. I was just the way things went.
As much as I tried to console myself with the guilt, it didn’t go away. Nothing I thought made it sound better. I was to be their hero, the savoir they had been waiting for. What kind of hero needed his people to fight his battle? That’s when I knew I couldn’t let them fight with me. No, this was my war and mine alone. I would kill Whatsername.


By night fall, the town square had been transformed into a dining hall. Colored lights hung from trees and houses, long tables with flowing white clothes lined the streets. A table was set at the head of the feast. Gregen, the other keepers, and I were to sit at this table. Dishes of all kinds were laid on top of a table at the far end of the square.
The smells mixed with the good feelings in the air and engulfed us all as we sat down for dinner. Someone at the far end picked up their glass and tapped their fork to it. Others followed suit. The only time I’d seen people do that was at mom’s wedding. Then it had meant they wanted to see the bride and groom kiss. I turned to Gregen. “Speech, Milord. Give your people a speech.”
I stood and looked out to the vast sea of faces and lights. I cleared my throat and spoke, “I’m really no good at speeches. Never have been. But I want to thank all of you for coming out to night and for all you will do in this war. I’ve never fought or ruled over anyone, not even a younger sibling. I hope that with all your help and support, I can become the leader you all deserve. Well, I guess there’s only one thing left to say, let’s eat!”
Praise and cheers rang out over the hills and back again. I sat back down as the plates came round. Trays of meat, bread and vegetables circled the tables till everyone had what they wanted. Somewhere, music was playing. A loud, tune meant to ready everyone for war. I couldn’t make out any of the words. The drums buzzed around in my chest and the guitars echoed in my brain. I ate more than I had in the last month and a half. That night I slept like a rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment