Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Boulevard of broken dreams

It was the first day in weeks that it didn’t rain. I stood at the picture window in my living room, watching the movers load boxes and chairs on to the back of the moving van. She stood in the road next to it. Billie, Mike, and Trè surrounded her. She was leaving. I’d never see her again. And it killed me.
I had thought I didn’t want anything to do with them anymore. Guess that’s the funny thing about humans. We think we can get along without each other, but we can’t. I needed them more than anything right now. I wanted her to stay. I wanted to hold her and kiss her. I’d wanted to since I first saw her. Now I’d never get the chance to tell her how I felt about her.
I turned away from the window and drew the curtains. I headed to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of beer. It didn’t taste as good as Brad made them seem like. I drank all of it though. The cool liquid rushing down my throat, into the pit of my stomach, in a way, it was claming. Once that one was gone, I pulled out another.
I sat at the table, tipping back beer after beer till I felt I would burst from the pressure in my gut. That’s when the tears came. Hot and wet. They raced down my cheeks and splashed on the table top. Try as hard as I might, they wouldn’t stop. My life officially sucked. I hated being St. Jimmy, no one believing me, I hated that Mary Jane was moving away and I’d never get to tell her how I felt. I hated the whole world. I wanted to die right then and there.


I packed a couple of clean shirts and pants into my old school book bag. I hooked the new strap I’d gotten for my guitar on and slung it over my right shoulder. I snagged a few cans of soup and beans and a can opener. I stuffed five or so bottles of soda in my car and loaded the guitar and book bag up front with me. The last thing was the bible of “none of the above”. I stared at the hateful thing. This little book had ruined my life.
I sighed and picked it up and left. The engine roared out into the night as I sped down the streets. I watched the perfect lawns pass me by. The shinny expensive cars and the billion dollar lawn chairs. It was time I go. I had to stop Whatsername. This was all bigger than me and my petty issues. I had to put them aside for everyone’s sake.
The rain pounded my windshield as I drove on the road to the shack. I forced the car to go faster and faster. It hurdled across the road and into a ditch. It landed with its nose in the ground. I crawled out thru the window, towing the guitar with me. The bible of “none of the above” rested safely in my jeans. I wasn’t about to give up just yet. So my car crashed. So what, I was still alive and I was going to take down Whatsername.
I hiked back up to the road and walked down the middle line. The yellow-orange line kept me going. The streets where empty and hollow like a ghost town. Had she killed all of the people? City lights flickered along the horizon as I continued on. The rain smacked my skin, leaving little red marks.
The guitar bounced against my back with every step I took. I wished I had someone to talk with. Didn’t matter who, just someone. I looked down at my side. I watched my shadow as I walked along to middle line. I could hear the sound of my heart beating out some kind of song as I walked. I hummed along to pass the time.
The rain slowed. I stared up at the sky. The dark rain clouds parted to expose the moon and all its stars. Then it hit me. The music. That was the key to defeating Whatsername. The guitar, the song, it all made since now.
Now in high sprits, I half ran to the shack. I was finally ready to take on Whatsername. All I needed now was some back up from my people.

No comments:

Post a Comment