It didn’t take people long to call the station and request their favorite songs. I had been expecting those calls. The call I hadn’t been expecting came around midnight from somewhere unknown. There was a lot of crackling from the other end. Heavy breathing and wheezing filled my ears. I paused before speaking.
“H-hello?” I asked. A long pause that spanned life times. Then finally, the person spoke to me. “Hello, St. Jimmy. I’ve been waiting for you. It’s been so very long since we last talked.”
I nearly dropped the receiver. The voice was a little distorted and strained, but it was still the same. It was her voice. Mary Jane. I swallowed the lump in my throat. “Yes, it has. It seems you’ve made yourself right at home here in my world.” I said in a voice I hoped didn’t sound scared and horrorstricken.
She laughed. A spine chilling sound. “Yes I have. I quite like this place. But, Jimmy, you know that’s not why I called.”
“Are you mad at me?”
“Very much so, Jimmy. You’ve destroyed my pretty gray. I can’t forgive you for that.” Another laugh. I bit my tongue, attempting to steady myself. It didn’t help every much. I could still feel my body trying to tip over.
“But if you want to stop me, Jimmy, you have to come and find me.” Whatsername laughed at me. It surged thru my bones. “I…I will. I will come find you, and stop you.”
“Good boy. I knew you would. Let’s make this time fun, okay, Jimmy?”
The receiver clicked and buzzed as the voice on the other end died. I sat, frozen to the chair for an eternity. I needed a plan. I had to figure out where Whatsername was hiding. But how?
Safely back in my house, I flipped thru the pages of the bible of “none of the above”. There had to be a method, a way of finding Whatsername. It wasn’t like she/it would just appear on my doorsteps. And the news was no help either. There were still parts of the world in a gray fog. I wasn’t able to reach everyone last night.
I traced each page with my careful eyes, making sure not to skip over anything that might help me. Nothing. I cussed and tossed the book at the TV, which tipped over. I sighed. Stupid thing. I walked over to lift the TV back onto the table when I discovered something. The bible was gone. The TV had eaten it. No, it was more like the TV absorbed the bible.
Flashing on the screen were the same worn letters of the bible of “none of the above”. I quickly set the TV back in place and rushed over to the remote. I swallowed the lump that had formed in the back to my throat, and pushed the number 1 button.
It clicked and switched channels. What was I looking at? A dark cave filled with a darker smoke. It had to be where Whatsername was hiding. “But what cave?” I asked aloud.
Slowly the screen pulled back and the image of Whatsername shrank. I watched as the camera or what ever was filming this exited the cave to show me the sign with its name painted on it. Black bear cave #3 in Yellow Stone Park. It was that far. I could make it in one night by airplane.
My only problem now was getting the bible back out of the TV. I looked over the remote. My eyes landed on the little red button at the bottom that I’d never seen before. Underneath the button was the word “exit”. I pressed the button and waited.
Gradually, the bible broke through the surface of the TV’s screen. It was like watching a sci-fi movie. Only totally freakier. I rushed forward to grab the bible before it hit the ground. The bible of “none of the above” was not to touch the ground, ever. That was rule number one.
It’s easy to get a plane ticket when 1) you looked like your twenty, not seventeen and 2) when your mom’s married to millionaire lawyer with the brain of a child (meaning, Brad hid money in a piggy bank in his closet.).
The lady at the counter didn’t card me, just smiled and handed me my ticket. Thanks to Brad, I was able to ride first class. As we took off, I dozed off. It wasn’t till we landed that I woke up. The past few days/hours/whatever must have taken their toll on me. But at least now I was ready to fight Whatsername.
No comments:
Post a Comment